Mimi Matthews is the author of The Pug Who Bit Napoleon and A Victorian Lady’s Guide to Fashion and Beauty. She researches and writes on all aspects of nineteenth century history—from animals, art, and etiquette to fashion, beauty, feminism, and law. Her articles have been published on various academic and history sites, including the Victorian Web and the Journal of Victorian Culture, and can also be found at BUST Magazine.
Mimi’s writing and research have been referenced in such diverse web and print publications as Smithsonian Magazine, The Paris Review, The Journal of Civil War Medicine, and Apartment Therapy. Her work is frequently used in high school and college classrooms as part of an English or History curriculum.
Matthews has a knack for creating slow-building chemistry and an intriguing plot with a social history twist.
When not writing historical nonfiction, Mimi is a USA Today bestselling, award-winning author of proper historical romances. Her novels have received starred reviews in Library Journal, Publishers Weekly, and Kirkus. Her debut Victorian romance was released in September 2017.
In her other life, Mimi is an attorney with both a Juris Doctor and a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature. She resides in California with her family—which includes a retired Andalusian dressage horse, a Sheltie, and two Siamese cats.
- USA Today: Interview with Mimi Matthews
- USA Today: Down & Dirty Interview with Mimi Matthews
- NetGalley: Cover Reveal and Interview with Mimi Matthews
- InD’tale Magazine: Featured Interview with Mimi Matthews
- All About History Magazine: Author Q&A with Mimi Matthews
- Relz Reviewz: Bookchat with Mimi Matthews
- Passages to the Past: Interview with Mimi Matthews
- Eli’s Novel Reviews: Interview with Mimi Matthews
- C. P. Lesley: Interview with Mimi Matthews
- Rakes and Rascals: In the Spotlight Interview with Mimi Matthews
- Pam Lecky: A Conversation with Author Mimi Matthews