My new Victorian romance novel The Siren of Sussex is out today from Berkley Romance! To celebrate its release, I’ve curated an epic giveaway, which I hope you’ll love. There’s also a Blog Tour, Reader FAQ, a Pinterest board with images of how I imagine the characters, and other special treats. There’s even a bonus giveaway that’s open exclusively to international subscribers!
The Siren of Sussex features Ahmad Malik, the half-Indian tailor from my Parish Orphans of Devon series, and Evelyn Maltravers, a bluestocking equestrienne who hires him to make her daring riding habits. It’s out today in eBook, paperback, audiobook, and hardcover wherever books are sold.
An Amazon Best Romance of January
A PopSugar Most Anticipated Romance of 2022
One of BookBub’s Most Anticipated Romances of Winter
A Library Journal Pick of the Month
Victorian high society’s most daring equestrienne finds love and an unexpected ally in her fight for independence in the strong arms of London’s most sought after and devastatingly handsome half-Indian tailor.
Evelyn Maltravers understands exactly how little she’s worth on the marriage mart. As an incurable bluestocking from a family tumbling swiftly toward ruin, she knows she’ll never make a match in a ballroom. Her only hope is to distinguish herself by making the biggest splash in the one sphere she excels: on horseback. In haute couture. But to truly capture London’s attention she’ll need a habit-maker who’s not afraid to take risks with his designs—and with his heart.
Half-Indian tailor Ahmad Malik has always had a talent for making women beautiful, inching his way toward recognition by designing riding habits for Rotten Row’s infamous Pretty Horsebreakers—but no one compares to Evelyn. Her unbridled spirit enchants him, awakening a depth of feeling he never thought possible.
But pushing boundaries comes at a cost and not everyone is pleased to welcome Evelyn and Ahmad into fashionable society. With obstacles spanning between them, the indomitable pair must decide which hurdles they can jump and what matters most: making their mark or following their hearts?
ebook: $9.99; paperback: 16.99; audiobook: $24.50
Advance Praise for The Siren of Sussex
“Readers will delight in this paean to women’s fashion and horseback riding.”
—Publishers Weekly, starred review
“Matthews brings the Victorian era to vivid life with meticulously researched details and an impossible romance made believable and memorable.”
—Booklist, starred review
“Romance aficionados who love fashion and animals will delight in this tender romance and will be excited to see Evelyn’s friends in future installments.”
—Library Journal, starred review“
“The Siren of Sussex is easily the best romance I’ve read so far this year, and is definitely one of my favorite romances of all time.”
—All About Romance (Desert Isle Keeper)
The Siren of Sussex: U.S. Giveaway
Terms & Conditions:
Giveaway hosted by Mimi Matthews. No Purchase Necessary. Entrants must be 18 years or older. Open to US residents only. Void where prohibited.
1 winner (selected at random by Rafflecopter) receives the following:
- Signed print copy of The Siren of Sussex
- Horse scarf
- Pewter sidesaddle brooch (made in Sussex, England!)
- The Siren of Sussex tote bag
- Three candles in scents: Fresh Hay, New Saddle, and Winter Ride
- Box of Ahmad Tea (60 count, assorted flavors)
- The Siren of Sussex bookmark
The giveaway is open from 12:01 am Pacific time 1/4/22 until 11:59pm Pacific time on 2/7/22. The winner will be announced here on my blog at 8:00 pm Pacific time on 2/8/22.
The Siren of Sussex: International Giveaway
This giveaway is for one signed paperback copy of The Siren of Sussex. It comes with a special Siren bookmark as well. This giveaway is open exclusively to International readers. It runs through February 7, 2022. The winner will be notified via email.
**This giveaway is open to international residents only.
Virtual Book Tour
The Siren of Sussex is on tour with Austenprose! Follow along at the stops below for reviews, spotlights, excerpts, and interviews! The tour runs through January 30th.
- Jan 10 Cogitations and Meditations (Review)
- Jan 10 Heidi Reads (Review)
- Jan 10 Reading is My Superpower (Review)
- Jan 10 Austenprose (Review)
- Jan 10 Eli’s Novel Reviews (Review)
- Jan 10 Robin Loves Reading (Review)
- Jan 11 Culturess (Review)
- Jan 11 Gwendalyn’s Books (Review)
- Jan 11 Syrie James (Review)
- Jan 11 Wishful Endings (Review)
- Jan 12 Amanda’s Book Corner (Review)
- Jan 12 Quill Ink (Review)
- Jan 12 Relz Reviewz (Review)
- Jan 13 Book Confessions of an Ex-Ballerina (Review)
- Jan 13 Roses are Blue (Review)
- Jan 13 The Lit Bitch (Review)
- Jan 14 History Lizzie (Review)
- Jan 14 Life of Literature (Review)
- Jan 14 My Bookish Bliss (Review)
- Jan 15 The Caffeinated Bibliophile (Review)
- Jan 15 Books and Socks Rock (Review)
- Jan 16 Heather Moll (Review)
- Jan 16 The Bashful Bookworm (Review)
- Jan 17 Eleanor Lynn (Review)
- Jan 17 Bookworm Lisa (Review)
- Jan 17 Novel’s Alive (Review)
- Jan 18 The Calico Critic (Review)
- Jan 18 Nerd by Nature (Review)
- Jan 18 Bobs & Books (Review)
- Jan 19 The Secret Victorianist (Review)
- Jan 19 Savvy Verse & Wit (Interview)
- Jan 19 Captivated Reading (Review)
- Jan 20 Vesper’s Place (Review)
- Jan 20 Nurse Bookie (Review)
- Jan 20 A Bookish Way of Life (Review)
- Jan 21 Clarissa Harwood (Review)
- Jan 21 Library of Clean Reads (Review)
- Jan 21 Bonnie Reads and Writes (Review)
- Jan 21 Christian Chick’s Thoughts (Review)
- Jan 22 The Literature Chick Book Blog (Review)
- Jan 22 Red Headed Book Lady (Review)
- Jan 23 Inkwell Inspirations (Review)
- Jan 23 Stacy’s Books (Review)
- Jan 24 Elizabeth Mahon (Interview)
- Jan 24 Jocelyne Reads Romance (Review)
- Jan 24 One Book More (Review)
- Jan 24 Lady with a Quill (Review)
- Jan 24 From Pemberley to Milton (Review)
- Jan 25 Confessions of a Book Addict (Review)
- Jan 25 Stephanie Barron (Review)
- Jan 25 Laura’s Reviews (Review)
- Jan 25 Reading with Emily (Review)
- Jan 26 Bringing Up Books (Review)
- Jan 26 A Darn Good Read (Review)
- Jan 26 Lis Loves Reading (Review)
- Jan 27 My Vices and Weaknesses (Review)
- Jan 27 Katie’s Clean Book Collection (Review)
- Jan 27 Lu Reviews Books (Review)
- Jan 28 The Reading Frenzy (Interview)
- Jan 28 View from the Birdhouse (Review)
- Jan 28 Austenesque Reviews (Review)
- Jan 28 By the Book (Review)
- Jan 29 Cup of Tea with that Book Please (Review)
- Jan 29 Chicks, Rogues, & Scandals (Review)
- Jan 29 Rosanne Lortz (Review)
- Jan 30 Charlotte Brentwood (Review)
- Jan 30 Leah Garriott (Review)
- Jan 30 Just Another Teen Reading Books (Review)
- Jan 30 Literary Time Out (Review)
FAQ and Spoilers
Q: Is this a “clean” romance?
A: The Siren of Sussex is a “closed door” romance. This means there is no sex on the page. There is, however, plenty of emotional passion.
Q: Why did you include a spiritualism subplot in the story?
A Few Extra Goodies
The Siren of Sussex Pinterest Board
If you’d like to see some of the visuals that inspired me while I was writing this story (including who I’d cast in each of the roles), you can click through to the Pinterest Board.
An Exclusive Excerpt of The Siren of Sussex
If the sneak peek chapter wasn’t enough to whet your appetite, you can click through to read an exclusive excerpt at The Nerd Daily!
Who Were the Pretty Horsebreakers?
Want to learn more about the Victorian era’s famous Pretty Horsebreakers? Click through to my blog post The Pretty Horsebreakers: Victorian Fashion & Competition in Rotten Row!
Charles Frederick Worth
I’ve written about famed designer Charles Frederick Worth in several books and articles. This article on Frolic (which I wrote for the release of my novella Fair as a Star) gives a great overview of who Worth was and what his gowns meant to Victorian society.
My Andalusian Horses
If you purchase a copy of The Siren of Sussex (or any of my books!), please do stop by my Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram page and let me know so that I can thank you personally. And please don’t forget to leave a review at Goodreads and/or Amazon. I truly hope you all enjoy Ahmad and Evelyn’s love story!