The Pug Who Bit Napoleon: Cover Reveal!

Pug Cover Reveal

At long last, I can reveal the beautiful cover of my upcoming book, The Pug Who Bit Napoleon: Animal Tales of the 18th and 19th Centuries. It was designed by Dominic Allen at Pen and Sword Books (UK) and features one of my favourite historical pug paintings. I hope you love it as much as I do!

The Pug Who Bit Napoleon by Mimi Matthews (November 2017), Cover, Final Proof

The back cover copy reads as follows:

From elaborate Victorian cat funerals to a Regency era pony who took a ride in a hot air balloon, Mimi Matthews shares some of the quirkiest and most poignant animal tales of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

Meet Fortune, the Pug who bit Napoleon on his wedding night, and Looty, the Pekingese sleeve dog who was presented to Queen Victoria after the 1860 sacking of the Summer Palace in Peking. The four-legged friends of Lord Byron, Emily Brontë, and Prince Albert also make an appearance, as do the treasured pets of Alexander Pope, Samuel Johnson, and Charles Dickens.

Less famous, but no less fascinating, are the animals that were the subject of historical lawsuits, scandals, and public curiosity. There’s Tuppy, the purloined pet donkey; Biddy, the regimental chicken; and Barnaby and Burgho, the bloodhounds hired to hunt Jack the Ripper. Wild animals also get a mention in tales that encompass everything from field mice and foxes to alligators and sharks lurking in the Thames.

Using research from eighteenth and nineteenth century books, letters, journals, and newspapers, Mimi Matthews brings each animal’s unique history to vivid life. The details are sometimes humorous, sometimes heartbreaking, but the stories are never anything less than fascinating reading for animal lovers of all ages.

The Pug Who Bit Napoleon is now available for pre-order at Amazon UK. It will be released in the United Kingdom on November 30. I’ll update with information on the American pre-order and release dates as soon as I have them.

Pre-Order Your Copy at Amazon UK

Mimi Matthews is the USA Today bestselling author of The Matrimonial Advertisement, The Pug Who Bit Napoleon, and A Victorian Lady’s Guide to Fashion and Beauty. She researches and writes on all aspects of nineteenth century history—from animals, art, and etiquette to fashion, beauty, feminism, and law.

You can also connect with Mimi on Facebook and Twitter.

Wendy Brydge
Wendy Brydge
3 years ago

It is a gorgeous cover, Mimi! 😊

Mimi Matthews
Mimi Matthews
3 years ago
Reply to  Wendy Brydge

I’m so glad you like it, Wendy :)

Vickie
Vickie
3 years ago

This is wonderful! Can’t wait to get my own copy!

Mimi Matthews
Mimi Matthews
3 years ago
Reply to  Vickie

I’m glad you liked it! I can’t wait for the November release :)

paper doll
paper doll
3 years ago

As I predicted; we, your loyal blog followers,are going to one day say,”we knew her when”
You have such a winner here, it’s like you strapped on a jet engine, then add your excellent writing to the mix! Wow….all your future success is so well deserved, enjoy :)

Mimi Matthews
Mimi Matthews
3 years ago
Reply to  paper doll

Aw thanks, Paper Doll :) Your comment means the world!

seaofgold2012
seaofgold2012
3 years ago

I always look at book covers to study design. With many covers, I wonder what strange and bizarre mental processes were happening in the minds of the publisher/designer to produce the covers they did. The cover for you upcoming book is marvelous; that book I will buy for its cover. In the interests of space, I now usually buy kindle books, but I am giving myself a hardcover copy of “PUG” for my birthday.

Mimi Matthews
Mimi Matthews
3 years ago
Reply to  seaofgold2012

I’m so glad you like the cover :) I can’t wait for you to read it. I’ll update as soon as I have the U.S. release dates. It will be much less expensive to order your print copy from here instead of the U.K.!